Don't buy HP computers

Dirk Freitag unreal.linux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 21:08:39 UTC 2009

M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 16:32:26 PM -0400, Dirk Freitag wrote:
>
>> Personally I think that everyone who has answered this so far has
>> missed the mark.  First, who cares if HP supports Linux or not?
>> They have to support the hardware regardless of what OS is on the
>> computer, because the OS has absolutely nothing to do with the
>> physical quality or reliability of the hardware.
>
> That *may* be true in theory. In practice, no hardware vendor works
> that way, because testing and/or customer assistance costs would
> skyrocket.
>
>> Second, even if HP *did* have support options for Linux, they would
>> pale in comparison to the online support communities located on
>> message boards, user lists and IRC chat rooms.
>
> True but irrelevant in many important cases. Many businesses will
> simply not buy stuff which is only supported informally by some
> unknown folks half a planet away. Many IT policies explicitly forbid
> doing so.
>
> This has nothing to do, of course, with buying or not HP products and
> why, or with which free online support is better, Linux or Windows.
> It's just that, to my best knowledge, none of those two statements
> matches reality, so they shouldn't be used to come to any conclusion.
>
> 	Marco
> 	Digital activism: http://mfioretti.com

Just to note, my rant was based towards the regular joe-smoe in
Kentucky.  Commercial level support is an entirely different beast.  And
a lot of times you will find that hardware vendors such as Dell and HP
have *EXCELLENT* Linux support for their platforms running Linux.  I am
sorry to say that your comments are irrelevant to my rant, due to
commercial support and residential support being two completely
different animals.

--
Dirk Freitag
Linux Registered User Number 487244          [http://counter.li.org/]