wifi and cdwriter problems

Dirk Freitag unreal.linux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 15:08:26 UTC 2009

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm using 8.04 (k)ubuntu on a compaq nc8430 laptop and I'm noting strange
> issues:
> 1) the wifi card is not working if disabled at boot time. The bluetooth (that
> starts with the wifi switch) works, but if I turn on the wifi card after the
> boot programs like knetworkmanager cannot see the card.
> 2) the cdwriter often is not available, and k3b claims about that. After a
> reboot the cdwriter is agai available, and after another reboot it is no more
> available and so on.
>
> What can I do to solve this problems?
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

Depending on how dirty the laptop is, there could be dust on the
connectors for the hardware which is stopping the OS from seeing the
devices.  Another possibility is if you have dropped the unit at all,
the connections could be loose.  Or it could be just that the computer
is old, and the hardware is beginning to fail.  How long have you had
this computer?  And how long has this been happening to you?

--
Dirk Freitag
Linux Registered User Number 487244          [http://counter.li.org/]

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: