Ubuntu 8.10 applets not saving properties - sounds + NetManager

allen meyers texas.chef94 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 09:44:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 06:29 -0700, Thorny wrote:
> [...]
> >> Now what's left is the sound problem.
> >
> > Please ask in a separate thread.  It's hard enough to keep threads on
> > topic without trying to handle two completely different problems at once.
>
> This is an oops Derek. You made a rookie mistake and that isn't like you,
> you are an experienced, knowledgable helper. It's recommended, and
> standard practise, to read all of a topic's threads before replying. If
> you had, you would know that all the OPs problems solved.
>
> I don't mean to be picking on you, you give good advice and there is good
> advice in this post of yours too. But this example is a way for lurkers to
> learn how to operate efficiently in the list. No offence meant.
>
> Perhaps we could have threaded better or marked "solved", but this list
> doesn't follow conventions for threads very well

Being a typical OP I guess rather reluctant to chime in here, but will
anyway. If convention dicitates when a concern has been solved that OP
closes the thread so to speak with a solved post then convention should
as well dictate that the helpers acknowledge the solved and drop the
thread. And Thorny it not just this list. It happens on others as well.
The only list in my limited experience that does not continue to offer
suggestions after a solved post is gparted and one wonders what makes
them different.
Allen