Ubuntu 8.10 applets not saving properties - sounds + NetManager

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 14:51:09 UTC 2009

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:44:27 +0300, Mihai Tanasescu posted:

> I've just installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my desktop PC at home, being used to
> it so far only on servers and working just with the console. So far, I'm
> having 2 problems and after reading and google-ing a bit I decided to
> also ask here in hopes of finding better workarounds.

Better than what? What have you tried up to now? And why didn't they suit
your purpose?

>Currently there are 2 bugs which I've seen and people have already
>reported: - NetworkManager won't save any static IP setting - ...

I don't think NetworkManager was intended to deal with the static IP
situation, I think it's intended to handle roaming for you, pretty much
transparently after an initial connect at a location. Similar to the way
that Redmond operating system does. I think it ignores any static stanzas
in your interfaces file. Personally, in a local LAN, I let my router hand
out a static IP with DHCP for the systems which I want one.

Can't help with question 2.