changing grub

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sat Mar 28 22:43:35 UTC 2009

Knute Johnson wrote:

> Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:50:10 -0600
>> Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My wife wants windows to be the first loading choice when grub comes up
>>> (shame on her!).  Is there a way to do that?
>>
>> Yep, just edit this file:
>>
>> /boot/grub/menu.lst
>>

> The option is the;
>
> default             0
>
> change it to the number of your windows entry.  If you update and add a
> kernel, you will have to do this again.

Actually, not.  As menu.lst says:

# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

So, what you do if you _must_ have Windows first (and can't get a
divorce...) is move the Windows stanza _before_ the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS, and
then it will always be the first option.

--
derek