sudo and su stopped working??

Robert Parker rlp1938 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 17:43:07 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Mike Adolf <mlnx at mho.com> wrote:
> Don't have any idea why or how to fix it, but suddenly sudo and su both
> give "authentication failed" error.  System/Root Terminal still works
> and User/Groups still shows I have admin privileges. I am using 8.10 and
> ran a security update this morning.
I'm guessing that /etc/sudoers got clobbered or that your user name
got removed from the admin group in /etc/group

You can compare your /etc/sudoers with mine below.

Bob Parker

# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

Defaults        env_reset

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
# %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
                                                              25,1          Bot

--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!