Drivers for MSI motherboards.

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Mar 24 16:14:47 UTC 2009

Mike Hammel wrote:
> I have installed a new MSI 865GM3-V motherboard in my computer.  I
> downloaded (from another computer) 8.1 and installed.  All went pretty
> well except some things don't work so well.  The USB optical mouse is a
> bit flakey but the biggie is the onboard 10-100 Ethernet is not working
> (although Ubuntu says I am connected to the network, I cannot get to the
> internet).  I have tried several different internet connection
> settings within Firefox to no avail.  Sound isn't working either.  But
> my printer does!  I have looked high and low for Linux drivers for this
> motherboard.  All I can find are Win drivers.  Any suggestions?  I am
> about ready to give up and go back to XP.

First of all wellcome to the wonderful world of Linux where it is your
choice what you do. If you want to give up this freedom, it will be a
pity, but this is also your choice.

Linux does not have nor need such things as motherboard drivers.

Most often, anything runs out of the box.

As your install seems to be the exception from the rule, let's try to do
a bit of troubleshooting, begining with your network.

As I understand, you are working on a GUI, most likely Gnome. Then open
up a terminal and type in

first:
sudo ifconfig eth0

then
sudo lspci | grep net

The first command will show you, what Ubuntu thinks of your first
ethernet card.

The other one will show you, which network controller your motherboard uses.

And there you immediately get to see a huge advantage of Linux that
works to your benefits.
If you do not believe me, just to find out the same wealth and detail of
information with windows. ;-))

Anyway, please post both outputs here.

Moreover, you might use google and look for e.g.
+"your motherboard" +linux +network

This will show you either that your problem is a typical challenge with
your motherboard and how to possibly cure this.

Alternatively you will quickly see that a multitude of people are using
your motherboard and network card successfully with linux.

Lastly have a look at the back of your computer to find out about
typical things that might go wrong:

Is the little LED very near or nearly inside your network connection
lit? If not, is your ethernet cable properly connected to the computer?
If so, is the other end of the cable also properly and firmly connected
to the switch or router or...?

Just let us know what you will find out, so that we can help you get
along. This list is great with any problem that you might have with your
Ubuntu Linux

Kind regards
Eberhard