Need assistance

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 22 21:01:04 UTC 2009

On 03/19/2009 05:26 PM, Raymond Land wrote:
> Hello to all and especially to anyone who can help.  I just received
> my first laptop from Dell using the Ubuntu system.  I am NOT very
> astute with computers and struggle with some of the lingo so if you
> respond understand that I may need clarification on some things.

> I use a Dell computer at home and purchased the laptop so that I
> could have email and web access when I am away from the house.  My
> biggest problem is this. I have not been able to access the web via
> WiFi.  I contacted Dell and was told that, because it is an Ubuntu
> system, I must work directly with Ubuntu.  I did get one Dell Tech to
> speak with me but he didn't have a clue as to how to solve my
> problem.

> When I begin, I click the Ubunto Icon, then Systems, then
> Administration, then Network.  A window opens entitled Network
> settings. This window offers three options for connecting to the
> internet, one of them is Wireless Connection.  Unfortunately all of
> the window choices are in grayscale and none of them respond to the
> cursor.  No one at Dell knows what to do at this point and neither do
> I.

> Within the Network Settings Window there is a link entitled "unlock".
> When I click this link I am prompted for an Administrator Password.
> Where do I get this password if I need it?  The folks at Dell say
> they don't have a clue.  Does everyone go through this?  Do I have a
> mfr. problem?  Am I stupid?  Who can help me?

No, you are not stupid, but apparently the Dell techs are... enter the
same password that you used when you logged in. If that doesn't work,
post back (well post back anyway with your status) and we'll tell you
how to set a password directly.

In addition, you might want to have a look at the Dell Ubuntu forums:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=256
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3525.aspx
http://linux.dell.com/