Ubunto 8.10 and AVG 7.5.51

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sat Mar 21 17:32:51 UTC 2009

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 13:20:31 -0400
Bart Silverstrim <bsilver at chrononomicon.com> wrote:

> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>
> > So, what does that have to do with the original question? It is
> > another article to read that does not provide an answer to :
> > "what is the serial number"?
>
> Another simple topic spinning out of control.
>
> If someone is asking how to manually add devices to a modern distro,
> i.e., add an entry to /dev, do you blindly tell them how to do it?
>
> Or do you throw manure on someone for pointing out that maybe there's
> a different issue since it's supposed to already be there using udev?
>
> According to what I'm seeing here, you just have them pursue a path
> of screwing with their system using methods that probably have
> nothing to do with their end goal...i.e., protecting themselves or
> others from viruses/malware...and instead blindly answer their
> specific question, heading down the wrong path. I *rarely* have users
> ask the real question they're trying to answer because they don't
> frame their questions as a solution to a goal, but rather the current
> obstacle they *think* they want answered. After dealing with
> supporting so many users over the years part of the support process
> is trying to figure out or guide them to a path that properly answers
> what they're really trying to do.
>
> Shoot me in the frackin' head for trying to help.

1. This was not a reply to anything to you.

2. By all means point out where to find the answer.

3. WHAT EXACTLY DOES AN ARTICLE ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS IN LINUX HAVE TO DO
WITH THE SERIAL NUMBER? The original question was where to find a
simple number. NOT WHERE DO I READ ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT TO USE A
DIFFERENT APPLICATION!
--
Charlie Kravetz