Ubunto 8.10 and AVG 7.5.51

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 18:26:00 UTC 2009

> JFC on a pogo stick!

?!?

> When will folks realize that there *IS* a good
> reason for some people to install an AV on a linux system in certain
> environments. Further, when will people on this list stop the "you don't
> need an AV" when someone/anyone asks a question about the installation
> of an AV program. You/we have no idea what the OP's reason is to wishing
> to install AVG, nor should we care; the OP ask a question regarding an
> installation, he/she didn't ask anyone's opinion whether it is
> necessary. Here, let me repeat the OP's entire post:

You are right, I made assumptions that I should not have made. I
should have asked what his intentions were, not assumed.

However, I still insist that although people may ask "How do I do X?"
that does not mean that we should not at least entertain the idea that
X may not be the best move for them.

> Nowhere in there do I see a question asking anyone's opinion if he needs
> to install AVG, do you? Yet your electron wasting reply was:

I am sorry about each and every electron.

>> You don't need that here :) Welcome to the real world!
>
> Your statement "a home user using it to protect his system from malware
> is not the place" is absolute nonsense. I *am* a home user, I have
> dual-boot windows systems, I share files with windows systems, I use
> Samba, and I *do* AV scans of partions, drives, and remote machines.

In that situation you should not be relying exclusively on the Linux
AV to protect your Windows systems. I hope that you have those
machines protecting themselves.

> Further, with BitDefender I also do incoming AV scans of Evolution
> (linux) emails on certain accounts - yes BD provides instructions &
> scripts on how to do those sorts of things - as quite often the emails
> tend to get forwarded to windows users.

I hope that your Windows users are running protections of their own
and not relying on you to stop all malware.

> Now *please* get off the harping on whether a user (home or otherwise)
> should, or should not use an AV (or any other program) on *their*
> system! They are free to use whatever the hell *they* decide to
> install/use on *their* system.

I agree that they are free to run what they please, however, from
experience most users who ask for AV on Linux are doing so out of
habit, not need. What would you say to a new user who asks how to
install IE on Linux? Would you recommend that he browse with IE 6 in
Wine as his primary web browser?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com