Restarting Xserver from cli

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Mar 18 19:03:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 15:37 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> You cannot imagine why people get so worked up about this precisely
> _because_ the last time that you had to kill X was several years ago.
> There are people who need to do this every week or even more often.

If this happened to me, then I would get worked up about *these bugs*,
not about a horrible kludge being removed *by default*. WTF are you
doing that hoses X once a week?

> Yes, it is indicative of bugs in the software that must be fixed, but
> why take away the workaround?

It was not taken away. It takes a simple command to enable it when you
need it (and I read somewhere that there will be a menu option, too).
Users that don't know about the dontzap command (or future menu option)
are the same users who don't know about Ctrl+Alt+Bsp in the first place,
so where's the hurt?

BTW, I fully agree that Ubuntu should have a way to restart X on demand,
even when X is hosed. But this should not be a key combo that can kill
the whole session by accident of a simple finger slip without asking
questions. It's one thing Windows got right. There, Ctl+Alt+Del is
intercepted by *the kernel*. This takes care of preventing false login
prompts as well as giving the user an option to back out.