Do Menu Editor and Shell need different commands?

Stephen Constantinou stephanos at writeme.com
Wed Mar 11 19:07:06 UTC 2009

Dear All

As part of wanting to mount the ntfs partition of my dual boot pc I
looked at doing this manually in a shell:
  "sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/xp -t ntfs -o umask=0002,nls=utf8"
and unmounting as well
  "sudo umount /mnt/xp"
Both work.

Then I tried to include them in the Menu options.  I put the same two
commands into two new items in the menu editor, but they do not work.
Both had "enable launch feedback" ticked.

I think the reason is that while the shell would rightly prompt me for a
password for the user, I do not get to see or input this password when
it is run from the Menu command.

Currently I mount this partition at boot up.  I am hoping to be able to
unmount it using a Menu command, after I have done certain things and
have the option to easily mount it again via the Menu if need be.

But is this possible?

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Stephen