Dual boot XP/ubuntu and symbolic links from XP to Kubuntu

Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com
Wed Mar 11 18:46:58 UTC 2009

>. . .
>I do not want to copy all my user files from XP onto the Linux
>partition.  To this end I have learned (via this forum) how to mount the
>xp/ntfs partition at boot up and now the XP file structure (of C:)
>. . .
>From within Kubuntu the xp folder containing the e-mails is owned by
>root: and all groups can view & modify.  This is also true of the
>individual e-mail boxes/files.
> From within Kubuntu/thunderbird the folder containing the e-mails is
>owned by stephanos (the only user) and owner can view & Modify.  Group
>and Others are forbidden.  The individual e-mail boxes/files clearly
>state that they are links and do not have permissions.
>
>Questions
>1) Is what I am trying to achieve impossible or have I missed something?
>2) Should I be turning those permissions that say Forbidden into Can
>View & Modify?
>
>Any help appreciated
>
>Stephen

The first question I ask is why are you even linking?  Why not just
use the folders on your C drive as your data folders for the email?

Anyway, What you are trying to do should be possible, but some more
information would be nice. :)
You said that you mounted it at boot?  What is the relevant line in
your fstab file?  Also if you could ls -al the directory and post here
so that we could see the details of the links you made?

I also do the same thing with my computer and have no problems with
what you are describing, but it has been a while since I set it up.
Off the top of my head, I seem to remember having problems with the
line in /etc/fstab.  I think it should end with   0  0  (zero  zero)
I think you may also have to change the ownership of the folder
ie:  sudo chown stephanos stephanos
(I only guessed at the stephanos'es, check your system first!)

If that doesn't work try changing the permissions on the folder using
the chmod command

Alan

This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.