Help! Installing 8.10 on Server - errors!!!!

Jonathan Harrison jonathan-harrison at tiscali.it
Tue Mar 10 09:03:52 UTC 2009

Lucio and Andy
Still no joy.

FYI

System:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2(rev. 1.0). RAM: 4 x KVR800D2N5k2/2G
Kingston. Processor: AMD64b dual core 6000+.  Hard Drive: Western Digital
WD800BB 00JHCO (half formatted and partitioned).  CD is Lite SHM 165P6S
MSOM.  No Video cards, or any other

Objective:
Install Ubuntu Server: ubuntu-8.10-server-amd64 or 32b with a longer term
objective to progress to eMail Server, Unison voice switch and UC.

Done:
I install by CD on Boot, complete Language and reset country Keyboard, all
to UK English.  Select Install Server

  I then get the following message:
  [   0.004000] Aperture pointing to e820 RAM. Ignoring.
  [   0.004000] Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
  [   0.004000] Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup
  [   0.004000] This costs you 64MB of RAM

First line is sometimes:
  [   0.004000] Aperture more than 4G RAM. Ignoring.

BIOS settings in Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2 for Extended Memory are auto-detect
and not adjustable.

- have tried 32b version too.  Tried F6 and done a gradual install.  Gets to
Will not pass this point.

======= from your advise so far ========
>From Ubuntu Menu screen I have also tried:
F6 and added iommu=noaperture to the end text at foot of screen, either
before, after or deleting Quiet.  There is no splash.
I have also done Esc at Menu and then edited (tab) the Rescue and added
there too.  Here it gets further.  I get to
[ 0.3831121] bus: 02index 4 mmio: [0.ffffffffffffffff]
[ 0.3831122] NET: Registered protocol family 2
And then it stops...

I have also tried addingiommu=memaper=3 pci=nommconf (another phrase I found
on the links sent to me).

I have also written to Gigabyte and waiting for them to reply (24hrs so
far).

I have also tried their updates, but none are required.

PS.  Re your question/comment:  I took out the other HDs because of
capacity.  I have 3 in this machine normally. 1 for OS and Aps, 1 x for the
files and 1 x for backups.  I intend not to use the first (OS) as it will
not have the capacity for the 2 OS, so have used a new, spare I found in my
magic box.  As I have no spare sockets to run a CD drive, I have
disconnected the ribbon and connected to the new HD (middle) and the CD
(end).  I then unplugged the backup HD because the cable was in the way.