How do I install Ubuntu using a thumb drive?

Charlie Dorff cy41169 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 03:03:56 UTC 2009

Hi again...
I had asked earlier how to install Ubuntu using a thumb drive and got a response saying I needed to be more detailed. I first tried using Unetbootin to transfer Ubuntu 8.10 onto a 2 gigabyte thumb drive. Unetbootin requires broadband internet so I took my netbook to a coffee shop and used their wifi. After Ubuntu had finished downloading I checked to see if Ubuntu was on the thumb drive and it was so I rebooted my computer. When my computer started up Windows came up running. My computer didn't go into Ubuntu live mode. The second method was to run a cd in live mode and then in the menu selected make a USB startup disk. After the transfer was complete I put the thumb drive in my USB port of my netbook and again it went straight into Windows without going into Ubuntu. I finally purchased a thumb drive with Ubuntu 8.10 and the results were the same. I have an Inspiration netbook. Please let me know if I need to include anymore information. Thank you.
Charlie