(OT) C++ forums

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 04:11:33 UTC 2009

Robert Parker wrote:
> Actually the book "Programming - Principles and Practice Using C++" by
> Stroustrup is not a reference at all, it is an introductory course in
> programming using C++.
> The reference book you may have been thinking about is "The C++
> Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup". I did have a copy of that

Ah, yes. Thanks for the correction.

> many years ago, long before the STL was at all usable or maybe even in
> existence. All that book did at the time was persuade me to stick to
> C. But things have moved on since then.
>
> What I am looking for is some online group where I can kick ideas
> around and exchange with others. My situation is that as a retiree in
> Chiang Mai Thailand I have no one around to interact with on
> programming topics so I am looking to do that online. With an emphasis
> on C++ and the use of libraries such as STL and others which might be
> useful.

What you could do is just go ahead and post in comp.lang.c++ (I wonder
if they discuss only the standard, then what is comp.std.c++ for?). Just
show some tough skin if you get flamed from some topic nazis there. In
my experience, if you do not discuss compilation issues and non-standard
C++ implementation issues, you should be able to get some nice feedback
regarding C++ programming that is C++ standard complaint. If things get
ugly, just ignore the screaming, mention an apology and just go on to
your next post. In short, ask away while being aware of what to expect
... and show some thick skin :)

Discussing STL, by definition, should be on topic on that group.

Regarding compilation issues (trouble compiling, not sure about g++
compiler and linker, not finding libraries), you can post that there or
in a Linux general newsgroup.

This above strategy is the best one I have come up with in the last some
years. I will be glad if this helps you.

Regards.

ever having been read.