(OT) C++ forums

Robert Parker rlp1938 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 23:46:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:02 AM, H.S. <hs.samix at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I've been reading from the above link and from what I read your
>> comment does seem to fit that scenario. So where should I go instead?
>

> First, it is difficult for anything to replace a good text book on
> programming in C++. The one you mentioned above is a reference and might
> appear to be more concise than what is comfortable at the intro level.
> Try consulting other books too which are a bit more explanatory.

Actually the book "Programming - Principles and Practice Using C++" by
Stroustrup is not a reference at all, it is an introductory course in
programming using C++.
The reference book you may have been thinking about is "The C++
Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup". I did have a copy of that
many years ago, long before the STL was at all usable or maybe even in
existence. All that book did at the time was persuade me to stick to
C. But things have moved on since then.

What I am looking for is some online group where I can kick ideas
around and exchange with others. My situation is that as a retiree in
Chiang Mai Thailand I have no one around to interact with on
programming topics so I am looking to do that online. With an emphasis
on C++ and the use of libraries such as STL and others which might be
useful.

Thanks for the tips below.
<snipped>
Bob Parker
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!