problems getting ubuntu to work with orca

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 4 23:27:46 UTC 2009

On 03/04/2009 10:37 AM, Don Raikes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the cross-posting, but I need to get ubuntu to work with
> the orca screen reader ASAP.
>
> I have downloaded both the hardy and intrepid livecd's over the last
> day, and tried to get both of them to work with no success.
>
> The steps I followed were:
>
> 1. insert the cd into the drive of my gateway desktop system. 2. boot
> the system. 3. when I hear the cd start to spin, I press <f5> then 3
> to enable screen reader then <enter>. 4. wait for the drumroll to
> identify that the system has booted successfully and gotten logged
> in. I then wait for the cd to stop spinning, but orca never starts.
> 5. press <f2> type "orca" and press <enter>
>
> I hear: "welcome to orca" but then nothing else. I have tried
> repeating this step several times, but each time the results are the
> same.
>
> I have even skipped the step where I press f5 on startup to see if
> that makes a difference, but still nothing.
>
> Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Perhaps it's related to this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-orca/+bug/191178
[orca problem with ubuntu live cd-s]

You mentioned liveCD's & that report specifically mentions liveCD's -
perhaps if you just wish to install I don't think the alternate CD has
the same problems(s). I've a free test machine & drive that I can test
with the alternate CD's if you'd like.

I only have a copy of the 'original' hardy final liveCD (8.04) so I just
tried:

1. insert the cd into the drive of my desktop system.
2. boot the system.
3. when I hear the cd start to spin, I press <f5> then 3 to enable
screen reader then <enter>.

I then hit enter again in order to boot into Ubuntu.

4. wait for the drumroll to identify that the system has booted
successfully and gotten logged in. I then wait for the cd to stop
spinning, but orca never starts.

Orca started and provides me with a configuration menu for:
 - Keyboard Layout
 - Show Orca main window
etc.

These worked for me:
- Screen magnifier
- Speech

I wonder if there were changes made between the original 8.04 and the
current 8.04.2:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/

Anyone else on the list got a 8.04.2 liveCD that they can test with for Don?