Ubuntu 8.10

Rob robfleet at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 4 20:54:00 UTC 2009

Greetings all,

I have recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 and just this morning was
presented with the option to install 517 updates.  Sheesh!!  So, I let
'er rip and find that I now have two problems (the second of which I had
before the update).

1. I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious but, for the life of me,
I cannot figger out how to connect to the Internet using KDE.  I'm using
Gnome right now and it has a little icon in the upper task bar that I
can click on to go on line (I'm using wireless connectivity through a
Linksys router on a lower floor which works fine in Gnome) but I can
find no obvious way of doing the same thing in KDE.

2. I cannot get sound to work in KDE.  Has anyone cracked the code on
this yet?  It clearly tells me my sound is "broken" when I activate KDE
but NOT how to fix it.

Many thanks in advance for any help on these two...

Rob