New heat grease, no help

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 4 17:16:29 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 3/4/09, H.S. <hs.samix at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: H.S. <hs.samix at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: New heat grease, no help
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2009, 10:29 AM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Your entitled to your opinion but I don't see it
> that way and Karl certainly didn't.
> > There are nice ways to tell someone they are not
> posting in a correct approved way. It's certainly not
> appropriate to say something that is totally incorrect and
> likely harmful to a computer in case a total noobie is
> reading and doesn't know any better.
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
>
> I see your point, and I agree with it.
>
> I think what some people are trying to explain here is that
> if one wants
> to be sarcastic or humorous, it should made clear in some
> way (/sarcasm
> tags, :) for jokes or by using one's writing skills),
> for the exact
> reason given above by Leonard. The lists are future
> references for all
> kinds of users, including newbies.

I certainly agree here.

> But then this is an open mailing list and everyone is
> entitled to
> his/her own opinion. One cannot force others to follow some
> basic rules.
> In my opinion, what this eventually leads to is the image a
> particular
> list projects of itself. If it is filled with noise which
> has
> potentially dangerous advice in the guise of being humorous
> without
> explicitly stating so, the list will get an image of not
> being thorough
> or untrustworthy.

Agreed.

> And there is absolutely nothing one can make others do
> there. In a way I
> see it as Darwinism as work here. If a list eventually is
> untrustworthy,
> it will not be references much by people looking for good
> advice.
> Example: I find that out of the linux newsgroups, redhad,
> fedora and
> other mailing lists, the most trustworthy, useful, robust
> and
> knowledgeable lists (for Linux advice) are of Debian and
> Gentoo. The
> most noisy newsgroup that comes to my mind is of Windows XP
> on
> microsoft's servers (undoubtedly there are others).

I haven't visited your list except for Debian when I first started with Woody bf2.4 and it was hell as at that time as newbie questions were frowned upon. One of the reasons I switched to Ubuntu.  It is more newbie friendly and much easier to use although I've learned a little since my Debian days-:)) Sorry that I misread/misunderstood your original reply.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net