Simple application to print part of an image - suggestions?

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Wed Mar 4 02:43:55 UTC 2009

On 03/03/2009 04:33 PM, Robert Parker wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
>> A couple of times recently I have wanted to print just part of an
>> image (.jpg) and, as far as I can see, none of the applications I seem
>> to have installed on my xubuntu lets me do this.
>>
>> I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
>> then print.  I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
>> printing something.
>>

> sudo apt-get install imagemagick

Imagemagick is a great set of tools, but not what OP is asking for.  And
having explored the "Convert" command a bit, I can say it would be
easier for OP to fire up GIMP to do what he wants.  convert would be
great if you wanted to clip As I understand it, the idea is to be
looking at an image, select some arbitrary part of the image with a
mouse, click "Print" and having the option to print the entire image or
just the selection.

GThumb was mentioned but, at least in my implementation requires that
you save the cropped file then open it.  Otherwise the print command
prints the entire image.  F-Spot photo viewer will allow this, but it
automatically saves a "modified" version of the file (it does not
overwrite the original)