New heat grease, no help

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 00:12:51 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>>    Today I bought a tube of high temp grease and I took off the heat
>> sink and cleaned it all up with alcohol and then put a liberal amount on
>> the top of the chip and put the heat sink back on.  Alas it does not
>> improve performance one bit :-)

What you did was correct. Since there was no improvement, that proves
that the heat sink was not faulty to begin with and looks like the
device is doing a lot of work and heating up.

> You need to put that grease on the outside of the heatsink for it to
> work. Just remove the fan and put the grease where the fan was.

and burn the device to cinders!

But seriously, NB: Do NOT replace the fan in this situation. The heat
link gel does between the heat sink and the device, as the OP did. That
was correct.

ever having been read.