New heat grease, no help

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 3 23:21:11 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 3/3/09, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: New heat grease, no help
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Tuesday, March 3, 2009, 5:00 PM
> Dotan Cohen wrote:

snipped because it's not relevant.

> >>    Today I bought a tube of high temp grease and I
> took off the heat
> >> sink and cleaned it all up with alcohol and then
> put a liberal amount on
> >> the top of the chip and put the heat sink back on.
>  Alas it does not
> >> improve performance one bit :-)
> >>

> > You need to put that grease on the outside of the
> heatsink for it to
> > work. Just remove the fan and put the grease where the
> fan was.

If I understand what you are saying, it's not correct.  The heat sink grease goes between the heat sink and the video chip on the MB and not between the heat sink and fan.

>     Your the troll. I KNOW where to put the grease. It was
> put there. It
> has no useful effect.

Karl, I've just gone through the same thing on a new AMD 64 X2 machine that kept giving high temperature errors. I checked the heat sink grease and it was good so I took the new maching to the shop for repairs and it had a bad motherboard. But the only symptoms I had was the high temps.
Everything else worked fine.  You may have a bad video chip on board or bad driver, I don't know but don't see how visiting the google site would cause the problem.

>     My next trial was a new PCI-Ex video card which was

 $50.00 at Best
> Buy and it plugged in just fine and now I am using the
> highest video
> setting and zero problems. The heat sink on the card is 10
> times larger
> than the one on the mother board.
>
>     So I am happy with my old computer again. Nice small
> box and a big
> monitor.

snipped

Leonard Chatagnier