cable broadband and dialup modem

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Tue Mar 3 02:21:13 UTC 2009

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> Is there any way to have cable broadband and a dialup modem operable on
>> the same computer (not operating simultaneously)? The dialup connection
>> would be for a separate ISP than the cable connection. Would there be a
>> conflict created by adding the dialup ISP's DNS addresses at the end
>> of those for the existing cable ISP? What other problems that I'm not
>> foreseeing?
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out a way to use *spit* Cox broadband for browsing
>> and downloading linux distros and the dialup ISP for mail and news.
>>
> Just curious here...Why? That will make your mail and news pretty slow.
> I still have the email address I used when I was on dial-up, as I pay
> the old isp a small fee for continuing to use it, but I download it
> through my new DSL connection, which is much faster.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Yeah, curious here as well, why. The only reason I can think of is you
have a cap on broadband and no cap on dial up?

I use gnome ppp for my gprs card (technically dial up as far the os is
concerned), and wireless or ethernet at home. have no problem switching
between the two.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com