Another question [plain text]

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 02:50:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Thomas<valhalla2100 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Can one have, as with Windows, different logical drives?  Is this
> possible with Ubuntu?  I don't have a need to have all in one

Yes, but it is done differently, using mount points rather than drive
letters. There's nothing that says you can't put something like /home
(user's files) on a partition on a separate drive, provided you've set
things up in advance, and you have sufficient space in those
partitions to make meaningful use of the system. Home directories can
take up a lot of space, depending on what the space is being used for.
For example, I have a second largish partition on another drive, and I
mount it as /storage, used (mostly) for backups and for media files
that don't easily fit in my home directory (larger collections of
videos, mpegs, that sort of thing.)

LVM (which has been suggested) seems to obviate some of the setup
space problems, making it easier to just resize volumes out of an
existing pool rather than face the somewhat inevitable head-smacking
reaction that accompanies the realization that some important
partition was created with too small a size for realistic use.

Often, but not always, larger systems will put system directories such
as /tmp and /var on not only separate partitions, but separate drives
as well.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.