configuring apache2

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Sat Jun 27 20:16:01 UTC 2009

bill <william at TechServSys.com> writes:

>> I have the permissions on all the files in the directory set to 664,
>> and I am the owner and group.
> My directory structure is:
> /var/www/ContactManagement/login.php, which gets the 403.
> If I move login.php to:
> /var/www/login.php, it works just fine.
> The permissions on ContactManagement are drwxrwxr--
> and permissions on login are rw-rw-r-- (in both directories)

drwxrwxr--

means the directory ContactManagement (d means it's directory) has the
permission
owner - read/write/execute
group - read/write/execute
other - read

Since you said you are the owner and group of the directory, and apache
runs as www-data, then apache won't be able to read whats inside the
directory.

With read access, you can only read a file, but a directory must be
executable (be able to enter) to read the content of the directory.

--
John L. Fjellstad