Problems with Installing Fonts, adding Transparency to TaskBar and making Dropdown Menu less "fat"

Carlos Andrade carlosviansi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 00:15:08 UTC 2009

Hello,

Thanks NoOp to warn me about the trouble i'd get in installing this. Too bad
i really liked it, i guess i'll avoid it then. Would you have any
suggestions about other fonts similar to this or that would go well with
that theme or any ideia about the other two questions?

Thank you very much!

Viansi

2009/6/26 NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>

> On 06/26/2009 02:59 PM, Carlos Andrade wrote:
> > Hello, i'm new to Ubuntu and i've been try to add some effects to a theme
> > added here and also few fonts. The font is artwiz-aleczapka-en-1.3 and
> the
> > transparency is this photo
> > http://gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/73210-1.jpg (i've also been
> > trying to make the drop down menu thinner like in this photo, any ideias
> > how?) . If anyone know how to solve any of these three doubts your help
> is
> > very welcome. All tutorials i found keep saying to move to a certain
> folder
> > based on a specific type of font or say to move to your "fonts
> directory",
> > and i don't know where is this folder. I tried to move artwiz-aleczapka
> > /usr/share/folder but i don't know what to do after this.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Viansi
> >

> You could try this:
> http://ithingshare.blogspot.com/2009/04/improving-font-on-linux.html
> http://urukrama.wordpress.com/2008/05/25/artwiz-fonts-on-ubuntu-hardy/
> or simply download and install:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/xfonts-artwiz
>
> However, I'd recommend *not* installing at all & find another set that
> matches your needs - particularly since you are new to Ubuntu.
>  The sourceforge version was last updated in 2004:
> <
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=95348&package_id=101632&release_id=234471
> >
> and the fonts were removed from hardy onward:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfonts-artwiz
> [Deleted in hardy-release  (Reason: (From Debian) RoQA; orphaned,
> RC-buggy)]
>
> Installing orphaned/RC-buggy fonts is only likely to lead to trouble
> later on.

Carlos Andrade
Bacharelando em Ciência da Computação - UFBA
Projeto EAD - CPD/UFBA
Sócio Estudante da SBC
http://homes.dcc.ufba.br/~cvas