Problems with Installing Fonts, adding Transparency to TaskBar and making Dropdown Menu less "fat"

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 27 00:41:48 UTC 2009

On 06/26/2009 05:15 PM, Carlos Andrade wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks NoOp to warn me about the trouble i'd get in installing this. Too bad
> i really liked it, i guess i'll avoid it then. Would you have any
> suggestions about other fonts similar to this or that would go well with
> that theme or any ideia about the other two questions?
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Viansi

Two points first:

1. Please post only in plain text on this list.
2. Please bottom post.
See:
It makes life here easier :-)

I can't really offer suggestions for alternate fonts. However, you can
install fontmatrix & easily have a look through fonts installed on your
system to see if there is something to suit your needs. To install from
a terminal:

$ sudo apt-get install fontmatrix

You'll then find the program in Applications|Graphics|Fontmatrix
You can export a 'font book pdf' that you can browse through.

Note: in order to install fontmatrix, you'll need to enable your
'universe' repository. See:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
for instructions on how to do this.

I'm not sure I fully understand your added questions, but to add
transparency to the panels: right click the panel in a blank area,
select 'Properties', click 'Background, click 'Solid color', and slide
the 'Style' bar to the transparency that you prefer.

Refs:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/fontmatrix
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Fonts
https://help.ubuntu.com/