3 questions

Brummelen, M. van (ICT) m.van.brummelen at antoniusziekenhuis.nl
Fri Jun 19 07:37:01 UTC 2009

Hi,

To recover your vista password, try http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

regards,
martijn

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com namens Nils Kassube
Verzonden: vr 19-6-2009 7:30
Aan: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Onderwerp: Re: 3 questions

thomas smith wrote:
> I am stuck using the old version (7.x), which was installed by
> the guy who put the computer together.  He installed VISTA,
> then Ubuntu.  I have installed version 8.10 several times but I
> am not able to access the new version.  It goes to the original
> boot screen where the old version and VISTA options are.
> How can I get to the newest version (8.10) and then upgrade
> to 9.xx?. I tried to upgrade from the Ubuntu site but only get
> error messages such as the files don't exist.

I suppose on your machine is Ubuntu installed within Vista. Then you
probably need to know the Vista password to install a new Ubuntu
version. OTOH, do you really want to keep Vista if you can't access it
anyway? You could install a newer Ubuntu version and use the entire disk
for Ubuntu. But backup your data first because that would erase Vista
and your current Ubuntu. Finally, if you want to upgrade your 7.x
version you should change your repository because both 7.x versions are
no longer supported and the repos are moved to another server. See these
pages for instructions:

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades>