jEdit hypersearch window focus on Ubuntu

Tony Baldwin photodharma at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 21:30:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:08:37PM +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> 2009/6/18 sktsee <sktsee at tulsaconnect.com>:

> > You're probably running into your window manager's "focus stealing
> > prevention" behavior. If your window manager is metacity, then you're
> > going to be out of luck, as I don't believe that there's a configurable
> > option to disable focus stealing prevention. You could, though, set the
> > hypersearch window to "Always on top" as a workaround.
> >
> > If your window manager is compiz (i.e. you've got desktop effects
> > enabled), then you can use gconf-editor set the following
> > key:  /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/focus_prevention_level equal
> > to 0 disable it. I don't have desktop effects enabled, so I can't
> > definitively say this will work. Try it and see.
> >
> > Another alternative to consider if you don't want/need to enable desktop
> > effects is to use a different window manager like fluxbox. I can confirm
> > that jedit's hypersearch window grabs focus as you would expect when
> > running under fluxbox.
>
> Changing the focus_prevention_level to 0 did not seem to make any
> difference.  I am a newcomer to Ubuntu and Linux so I am not sure what
> manager I am using.  I have the standard 8.10 setup, though I have
> disabled effects as waiting while things fade in and out drives me
> nuts.  I like it be snappy not pretty.  Perhaps I will have a look at
> fluxbox or another manager.  Is there a link that will describe the
> pros and cons of these?  Does it make much difference to day to day
> operation which one I use?

You're probably using Gnome (panel on top of screen?).
While I highly recommend fluxbox or openbox/LXDE, or even lighter WMs without
all the DE cruft, for those who are more familiar and comfortable with linux,
you probably should stick with gnome, or xfce (like gnome but a bit lighter),
or KDE (more windows like) until you are more familiar with how to get things done with gnu/linux.

IMHO, a lighter WM, such as ion3 which I use, makes a BIG difference in my daily work, because it is,
to me, far more efficient, doesn't get in my way, uses fewer system resources, etc.,  but it takes a bit of learning to use.
An environment like gnome, kde, etc. will be far more like what you're accustomed to, for now, and will,
likely, be most efficient and effective for you.  Moving to something more alien, initially, could
potentially only frustrate you.  Better to get comfortable with the OS, first, using the gui tools available,
before getting stranded in a less "user-friendly" environment without a clue.

Even fluxbox could be a bit uncomfortable for someone not accustomed to the gnu/linux way.

Eventually, if you really stick with gnu/linux, you may also find a lighter environment more efficient.
I started out using KDE, and stuck with it for a long time, but now can't stand it.
But I had to learn to find my around, bit by bit, and the gui elements of a DE like KDE made me comfortable until
I did learn sufficiently to be able to use the OS itself without so much hand-holding from the gui layers.

be well,
tony

--
http://www.photodharma.com