jEdit hypersearch window focus on Ubuntu

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 18 21:08:37 UTC 2009

2009/6/18 sktsee <sktsee at tulsaconnect.com>:
> On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 22:05 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>> 2009/6/17 Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>:
>> > I have a problem using jEdit on Ubuntu. I have tried the jEdit forum
>> > without success.  Perhaps someone here can offer some suggestions.
>> >
>> > I am using jEdit 4.3pre16, java 1.6.0_10 on Ubuntu 8.10.
>> >
>> > The problem is that when I perform a hypersearch, the floating
>> > hypersearch window is given the focus (its title bar changes colour if
>> > the bar is visible on screen) but it is not popped up on top of any
>> > other application's windows that may cover it.  If the window is
>> > completely covered by other windows then I have to manually select it
>> > in the task bar (which minimises it) then select it again to pop it up.
>> > It works fine in XP, but then not much else does.
>> >

>> I have received a suggestion via the jEdit forum that I need to set
>> raise-on-focus in my Ubuntu window settings but I cannot find how to
>> do this. Google has not been particularly helpful.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Colin
>>

> You're probably running into your window manager's "focus stealing
> prevention" behavior. If your window manager is metacity, then you're
> going to be out of luck, as I don't believe that there's a configurable
> option to disable focus stealing prevention. You could, though, set the
> hypersearch window to "Always on top" as a workaround.
>
> If your window manager is compiz (i.e. you've got desktop effects
> enabled), then you can use gconf-editor set the following
> key:  /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/focus_prevention_level equal
> to 0 disable it. I don't have desktop effects enabled, so I can't
> definitively say this will work. Try it and see.
>
> Another alternative to consider if you don't want/need to enable desktop
> effects is to use a different window manager like fluxbox. I can confirm
> that jedit's hypersearch window grabs focus as you would expect when
> running under fluxbox.

Changing the focus_prevention_level to 0 did not seem to make any
difference.  I am a newcomer to Ubuntu and Linux so I am not sure what
manager I am using.  I have the standard 8.10 setup, though I have
disabled effects as waiting while things fade in and out drives me
nuts.  I like it be snappy not pretty.  Perhaps I will have a look at
fluxbox or another manager.  Is there a link that will describe the
pros and cons of these?  Does it make much difference to day to day
operation which one I use?

Thanks for the help

Colin