Programming language for children

Piper pay_the_piper at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 16 15:07:50 UTC 2009

All of the languages referred to so far overlap greatly in what they
accomplish. IMO it is not just C which is "for the birds" but every other
language of the machine too. However, I did phone MS and they walked me
through the compiling of a C program with .NET over the telephone.

You need to talk to your daughters about the birds and the bees.

Also talk about cryptography and what the word "cryptic" means.

First you tell your daughters what languages of the machine from binary to
C++ accomplish. Then you ask them to write out a menu of what you have said.
Then tell them to write a new language of the machine called "BEE" to
accomplish those things. BEE will be intermediate between your native
language (Swedish?) and C, FORTRAN, APL etc.

For example, item 1 on the menu might be Bzzzzzz. Item 50 might be Bzz Bzzz
Bzzzzzz etc.

Augie Hansen (as quoted recently) is correct. Programming is not the same as
code writing.

Given that code writing can be rationally and scientifically articulated, it
can be "sketched out" in some kind of pre-code plan.
Then the .NET SW can give us your daughters' menu which also asks which
language we want used for the code which .NET returns.

Meanwhile code writing is a make-work exercise to keep some people buzzing
around and staying busy as bees who might otherwise be socially troublesome.

The managers at MS will pay your daughters a lot of money to NOT come
forward with the BEE language. What will they do with all those unemployed
code writers?

Piper