Consider removing vim-tiny from Ubuntu in the future

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jun 16 14:22:53 UTC 2009

howard chen wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:40 AM, Derek Broughton<derek at pointerstop.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> As near as I can guess, you're not asking to remove vim-tiny, you're
>> asking to replace it with vim-full.  There's a really, really, _really_
>> good reason why vim-tiny is installed - some things need it for
>> scripting.  But there's NO good reason to force vim-full on those of us
>> who absolutely hate vi.  If you want vi, install it.   Of course, vi
>> should not work "out of the box". Ugh!
>
> To be honest, if a broken version of vi has to been exist in Ubuntu, I
> would rather perfer not to have vi pre-installed to please all the
> vi-hater.

It's not a broken version - it's a particular minimal version required by
certain packages.  It's not meant to be a full vi editor, just as python-
minimal gets installed but isn't intended to provide you with a full python
environment.  It might perhaps have been a better idea to call it "vim-
minimal", to match ubuntu-minimal and python-minimal, but it probably
existed first.
--
derek