Enigmail and PGP from GNU

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 15:13:50 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> People with Windows background: In Linux, rebooting is necessary when
>> one wants to change the kernel being used. In almost all other
>> circumstances, no rebooting is necessary, certainly not for installing
>> and using the above mentioned two package.
>

> 	Sorry but your law that you NEVER reboot Linux is in this case an

Grow up.

> error. You have to think to understand why. And actually do it to see.
>
> 	At time one Thunderbird is up and running. You load GNUPGP and
> Enigmail. Enigmail needs to modify Thunderbird a lot. It does so I think
> by writing to thunderbird on the hard drive. It doesn't show up on
> Thunderbird.
>
> 	Yes I think you can delete Thunderbird and then start it again and it
> will work. But to just reboot is easier.

I don't think "delete" here means what you think it does. You have it
all messed up and are spreading bad and senseless practices on this
list. Rebooting as a solution for every little problem might have worked
for you on Windows, but in Linux is it just not required all the time.

For the unwary future reader who may not know that this Karl F. Larson's
post should not be taken seriously: just installing Thunderbird (the
mail client), GnuPG (and creating one's GnuPG keys; see google before
you begin on how to use GnuPG) and then installing Enigmail (TB plugin
for GnuPG) does *not* require a reboot to use them. Closing down TB and
starting it again should suffice. For some GnuPG helper packages (should
on choose to install them) a re-login is necessary.

A user may just log off and log back in his desktop should he want to
make some desktop or login changes to take effect.

For an average Joe, the best thing to follow is to see if the "Reboot"
icon shows up on the Panel on Ubuntu.

And, yes, I do have TB, GnuPG and Enigmail and other GnuPG tools setup
and running automatically on my system.

ever having been read.