Ununtu 9 with Intel 815 chipset

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 19:26:37 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Victor
Roberts<vdr at lighting-research.com> wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Victor
>> Roberts<vdr at lighting-research.com> wrote:
>> The first thing to do is reboot and choose rescue mode, then the
>> 'xfix' option and see if that helps.
> Thanks for the additional suggestions.  When I booted the machine I
> didn't get to the rescue mode fast enough so it booted normally.  I then
> decided to see if I had set anything incorrectly in the desktop settings
> so I right-clocked on the desktop and chose Change Desktop Background.
> On that screen there is a tab for Visual Effects.  The default is
> Normal, but I decided to choose None.  That fixed the problems I was
> having.  I then tried to go back to Normal but the system seemed to have
> problems finding the right driver and presented me with a screen with
> all the same issues, so I left it at None, which is OK for now,
>
> I have a Nividia card on order to replace the on-board Intel chip, and
> will try that when it comes and report back.  (Will the system
> automatically recognize the Nividia card once it is installed and I have
> disabled the Intel card?)

What you are saying makes a lot of sense.  There are outstanding
issues with the Intel video (see the release notes for more info) that
are much more likely to show up when you start enabling the extra
effects.

The system will recognize you've changed cards.  It will likely ask
you if you want to use the proprietary drivers for that nVidia card.
You should be able to use the extra effects then.

Brian

PS xorg.conf is pretty much empty because X self configures every time
it starts.  You can still put things in there to override the auto
config, but if you don't it usually works fine.

--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty -> gconftool -s --type
bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false