Ununtu 9 with Intel 815 chipset

Victor Roberts vdr at lighting-research.com
Sat Jun 13 18:56:04 UTC 2009

Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Victor
> Roberts<vdr at lighting-research.com> wrote:
>> I was able to install all the current updates this morning.  The system
>> boots but there are two issues with the desktop.
>>
>> First, when the mouse is moved around and various menus are highlighted,
>> blocky areas of that highlighting remain after the mouse has been moved
>> on, and;
>>
>> Second, when I open Terminal or when certain dialog boxes open, they are
>> all white with no visible text.  For example, when I went to install the
>> updates, the dialog box that asked for my password was all white.  I
>> know what information was wanted only because I had installed updates on
>> this machine before, and I also run Ubuntu 9 on a MSI WIND netbook - so
>> I types my password and the updates were downloaded and installed.
>>
>> After installing the updates, I use CTRL-ALT-F1 to kill the desktop and
>> return to the command screen.  Once there I saw an error message,
>> apparently from the boot process, that said: unable to set 1024 x 768
>> mode, switching to 800 x 600.
>
> Hi Victor
>
> Sorry it's been so long since anyone responded on this.
>
> The first thing to do is reboot and choose rescue mode, then the
> 'xfix' option and see if that helps.
>
> If not and your symptoms are the the same, then let's see that error
> message you mention seeing in a console.  From your description I
> gather you should be able to find it via System -> Administration ->
> Log File Viewer -> dmesg tab,   or by typing 'dmesg' in a terminal.
>
> Brian

Brian,

Thanks for the additional suggestions.  When I booted the machine I
didn't get to the rescue mode fast enough so it booted normally.  I then
decided to see if I had set anything incorrectly in the desktop settings
so I right-clocked on the desktop and chose Change Desktop Background.
On that screen there is a tab for Visual Effects.  The default is
Normal, but I decided to choose None.  That fixed the problems I was
having.  I then tried to go back to Normal but the system seemed to have
problems finding the right driver and presented me with a screen with
all the same issues, so I left it at None, which is OK for now,

I have a Nividia card on order to replace the on-board Intel chip, and
will try that when it comes and report back.  (Will the system
automatically recognize the Nividia card once it is installed and I have
disabled the Intel card?)

I set up this Ubuntu system so I could try once again to learn about
Linux.  I;m disappointed that I have been unable to find where the video
settings are stored.  There is nothing of interest in xorg.conf.  Can
you tell me where the detailed video settings are listed?

Vic