nividia drivers

Gary Kirkpatrick pegngary at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 13:01:09 UTC 2009

When I try to run "System/Admin/Xserver settings I get "You do not appear to
be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just
run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server. "

When I follow the instructions I get:

 sudo nvidia-xconfig

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
                  Device section "Configured Video Device" must have a
Driver
                  line.

Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

Don't know what to do next.   What brought all this about is the mediocre
font and scree resolutions.

Thanks for any help.
Gary