OT: Unix or UNIX or unix

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 04:32:12 UTC 2009

> my instructor told us one day when he was giving a lecture about the history
> of linux and unix that windows's network layer was taken from linux. This
> was back in the windows 9x days..so windows current network layer is no
> longer unixes.

It was BSD's TCP/IP, not Unix's. This is often given as an example of
the importance of the BSD license. Imagine the world of hurt that we'd
be in if MS had developed their own, slightly incompatible TCP/IP
stack. I wish that the OOo ODF interpreter had been BSD and that MS
would have incorporated it into MSO. Or the Gecko / KHTML browser
engines.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com