OT: Unix or UNIX or unix

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Jun 11 13:23:18 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Christopher Chan wrote:
>
>>> 	You got it right! Follow the money and you see where names come from
>>> and who wins. I think Ubuntu is a lot closer to Unix than the Unix
>>> people will admit. But Ubuntu is free and that doesn't count.
>>>

>> Ubuntu being free has nothing to do with it and nor does lineage. Mac OS
>> X is mach kernel based OS and yet its latest version Leopard and Snow
>> Leopard is considered UNIX because it is UNIX certified.
>>

>> Ubuntu will never be UNIX certified because it is a GNU userland
>> operating system and GNU = GNU is NOT UNIX and thus its difference in
>> behaviour in some places will never get it full UNIX compliance. Ubuntu
>> could be UNIX certified and still be free if 1) it is UNIX compliant and
>> 2) Canonical paid for the tests to get UNIX certification.
>>

> 	As I said at the beginning Ubuntu can't get Official Unix without
> spending big bucks getting that so-called UNIX certification. I really
> do not think GNU is a problem.

Have you ever tried looking at the POSIX specification or even looking
at how UNIX certified programs behave?

The Linux kernel tries to be POSIX compliant. GNU makes no such attempt.
GNU userland tools have different flags/parameters and different output.
POSIX covers more than just the kernel and system calls.