A problem setting up Ubuntu

Victor Roberts vdr at lighting-research.com
Wed Jun 10 20:43:31 UTC 2009

Alexandra Zaharia wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Victor
> Roberts<vdr at lighting-research.com> wrote:
>
>> Your comments about Intel graphics chips are interesting.  I comment on
>> my problems with the Intel 815 chipset in another thread.  This system
>> worked well with Ubuntu 8.10, but has serious video issues with Ubuntu
>> 9.04. Are the Intel video issues with 9.04 unresolvable?  There is
>> little data resident on this system. I can easily reinstall 8.10.  Would
>> that be your recommendation?  (Another option would be to get a
>> different video card and disable in on-board video chip.
>>
>> Vic Roberts
>
> Vic,
>
> To be honest, I am not basing my judgement on Intel video chips in
> 9.04 on *my* experience. I've avoided them so far and stuck with
> nVidia mainly (and an ATI for the laptop). However, from what I heard
> and seen, it seems there are more people complaining now about the
> Intel drivers  than there used to be before.
>
> In regards to "Intel video issues with 9.04 unresolvable?", no one
> could know unless they'd thoroughly test the configuration. Of course,
> it depends on what you demand from your system. So if you feel you
> can't live without Compiz (or a smoothly running Compiz) and you
> cannot achieve that result with your current Intel graphics chip *and*
> Ubuntu 9.04, then the choices that pop in mind would be to either
> re-install 8.10 (or another system you've known as working) or to buy
> a new video card.

[snip]

I can easily live without Compiz and anything else "fancy".  Right now
I'm just trying to get a desktop that does not have blocks left behind
when I move the mouse, and a terminal that does not use the same color
for the text and the background, so I can read it!   I thought the
display settings were supposed to be in xorg.conf, but all the lines say
"default" or some such thing.

Vic Roberts