jaunty aspire one install no GUI

Tony Baldwin photodharma at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 15:02:58 UTC 2009

Haneef Bashir wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Tony Baldwin<photodharma at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Fred Roller wrote:

>>> As an alternate option to the other great ideas try eeeubuntu:
>>>
>>> http://www.eeebuntu.org/
>>>
>>> I tried net remix and eeeubuntu on my aspireone of the two I prefer
>>> eeeubuntu.  Faster, cleaner, minimal.  It uses the gnome interface, has
>>> recognized wireless easily.  It comes with VERY little software pre
>>> installed but you have Add/Remove plus aptitude at your disposal.
>>>

>> I have an everex cloudbook that came with an oem configured install of
>> hardy herron on it.
>> I removed gnome and installed ion3, but otherwise it's just hardy with
>> some manufacturer imposed tweaks, or something.
>> Works pretty well.
>> I dig it.
> i  tried ion3 and couldnt really get the hang of it. i find this case
> really puzzling, i would think during the setup a desktop environment
> would have been installed by default so im thinking if there is a
> deeper issue here. im going to reinstall, if that desnt work ill try
> eebuntu.

Why reinstall?
Did you try startx from the command line, or aptitude install gdm?
I would
aptitude install gdm
startx

that should bring you a graphical login from which you can enter fluxbox.

The alt install, iirc, should only give you the text interface.
You have to install the gui stuff from there.
If you want a full desktop, you have to use the usual livecd install media.

/tony

--
http://www.baldwinsoftware.com
free/open source software