Jaunty Update Manager is broken

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 18:17:22 UTC 2009

Tony Baldwin wrote:
> Steve Flynn wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>        I woke up this morning with Update Manager almost but not quite fully
>>> functional. I could not get it to d/l the updates so I opened a terminal
>>> and used update and upgrade and got the updates.
>>>
>>>        Update Manager will not quit, work or nothing. I am going to use the
>>> update Manager to delete this but it refused. It said use the synastic
>>> package manager but now THAT will not come up even after giving it the
>>> root password!
>>>
>>>        So I am going to leave Jaunty for good. It is really broken BAD!
>> I'd hazard a guess that yours is "broken BAD" (woeful English by the
>> way) but for the rest of us it's working perfectly well.
>>
>> What output do you get if you run synastic (sic) from the command line?
>>

> I can't get synastic to run either...I can't even find it!  LOL!!
>
> Honestly though, if
> aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade
> (or apt-get, if you prefer, but I recommend aptitude)
> works, why leave?
> maybe it will fix 'synastic' and update-manager.
>
> also, Karl, pay attention here:
> do
>
> # sudo su

	This worked and gives me a root Terminal.

> $ synaptic 2> synasticerrors.txt

> then send us the content of synasticderrors.txt

I cannot find synasticderrors.txt because the above just started
synastic in a normal way.

> I say do sudo su, first, rather than sudo synaptic or gksu,
> because I want to be certain we have the errors from synaptic, not from
> gksu or sudo.
>
> Then again, you might just get
>
> $ synastic
> synastic: command not found
>
> Pay attention to the spelling!
>
> :D
>
> ./tony

I do spell it right and I have used synastic from the Terminal and it
works fine.

I think it might be an update this morning. I have not updated my Jaunty
laptop and I will see if it is better.

73 Karl

- --

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI