Jaunty Update Manager is broken

Tony Baldwin photodharma at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 18:42:48 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Tony Baldwin wrote:
>> Steve Flynn wrote:

>>> I'd hazard a guess that yours is "broken BAD" (woeful English by the
>>> way) but for the rest of us it's working perfectly well.
>>>
>>> What output do you get if you run synastic (sic) from the command line?
>>>
>> I can't get synastic to run either...I can't even find it!  LOL!!
>>
>> Honestly though, if
>> aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade
>> (or apt-get, if you prefer, but I recommend aptitude)
>> works, why leave?
>> maybe it will fix 'synastic' and update-manager.
>>
>> also, Karl, pay attention here:
>> do
>>
>> # sudo su
>
> 	This worked and gives me a root Terminal.
>
>> $ synaptic 2> synasticerrors.txt
>
>> then send us the content of synasticderrors.txt

It's probably in /root
You might have to chmod it to read it.
or while still signed in as root do
$ cat synasticerrors.txt
and cut-n-paste from your terminal (if you use one that supports
cut-n-paste).

But, hey, if it's now working, you're probably not getting any errors.
As mentioned previously, it was likely not starting because
update-manager was hanging, and now that is resolved, from what I
understand.

good luck
tony

--