Getting PGP

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 02:11:06 UTC 2009

Steven Susbauer wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>>     Pretty Good Privacy or PGP is a system to encode a message so that
>> only you or another person you give the right to, can decode the
>> message. I was looking around with Google and discovered that
>> www.pgp.com was there but they will only sell you a version for like
>> $250.00 for Windows.
>>
>>     Just on a lark I tried $ sudo aptitude install pgp and it did! I had
>> to search around to find any information but then found man pgpgpg and
>> it has most of what you need. I found out how to make me a new Public
>> and Private key which I did and did decode a file I have in my computer.
>>
>>     This is a Command Line version of PGP and it is designed to be used
>> by business. You can build up a system that encodes outgoing email and
>> decodes incoming mail that you have on your key ring.
>>
>>     There are a few things nice about this version. The software runs on
>> Ubuntu. It never gets out of date. It is free of all cost. You can use
>> it as much as you please.
>> And you can get it back if you hard drive crashes.
>>

>> 73 Karl
>>

> gnupg is installed by default, it is accessed through the gpg command.
> It is used in place of the commercial PGP product. Seahorse (the program
> you hate due to it managing keychains) may be used to easily manage your
> own keys, as well as keeping track of public keys of others.

    I do not have Seahorse installed I do not think. I am having
problems I think because the only help is a man page. And I have no idea
what the system is doing most of the time. I thought I was getting it to
put the public key into a file but it failed. I can't figure out why.

    If you know of any good help for this version please pass it along.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User