Ubuntu Laptop Suggestion

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Jun 5 17:31:43 UTC 2009

This is a bit off topic, but a sixth grader from my kid's school asked
for recommendations for a laptop.  He says he's saved up about $400[2]
(we are in the US) and wants to learn Linux and programming.

My Linux laptops have always been Thinkpads, but that's out of his
price range.

True, it's easy to find Linux laptops on-line, but at his price range
I'm concerned with hardware compatibility.  I can research, but I
thought it worth a try asking here just in case anyone has been
through this lately or seen any great deals in that price range.

Also, my Thinkpads have always had plenty of power -- so I don't have
experience with low-end laptops.  For example, most the low price
units are Celeron 2.16GHz machines[1] so I wonder if things like
compiz will even run.

Sorry, I'm not that up on hardware.

Thanks,

[1] Some examples:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AS5335-2238-R&cat=NBB&cpc=NBBbsc

[2] He seems to have saved more than most Americans. ;)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org
Sent from my iMutt