Kernel version and VirtualBox

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jun 4 16:21:56 UTC 2009

Mario Guenterberg wrote:

> On Do, Jun 04, 2009 at 07:19:59 +1000, alan duval wrote:
>> I would like to install VirtualBox in gOS (based on Ubuntu 8.04).
>> However I don't know which package to download as there are quite a
>> number of packages that seem to apply to various kernel versions.
>> In /usr/src there are linux-headers-2.6.24-24  and 2.6.24-19 so I don't
>> know which version is installed.
>> How can I find out what kernel version I have?
>> Also, does anyone have any experience with installing and using
>> VirtualBox in Ubuntu 8.04?
>
> uname -r is your friend.
>
> Yes, no problems with the virtualbox-oss

virtualbox-ose :-)

> packages from ubuntu, also virtualbox from sun.

I strongly recommend the latest virtualbox from Sun - the version of
virtualbox-ose is missing important features (_much_ better "host"
networking in 2.2, and the ability to import/export virtual appliances.

Also, make sure you have the "dkms" package installed - it makes recompiling
the vbox driver much simpler.
--
derek