[OT] setting the router time

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 02:00:12 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 06/03/2009 02:59 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
>> 20090603 1655 GMT-5
>>
>> I have been dealing with an issue that a routers internal time is off.
>> Im working with my friend (who I just got moved over to Ubuntu) and his
>> modem plugs into his computer and this computer to the router so his
>> computer acts like a firewall to his network. This is just an old pc
>> made useful as a firewall - not is work machine.
>>
>> The time on the router (linksys) has been off by several hours and he
>> has been adjusting the time-zone to get it correct. In his time zone its
>>   four hours off.
>>
>> So Im thinking, is the router gettings its time from the firewall/pc? He
>> didnt install a gui, just the server, so Im sure no time has been set.
>>
>> Wade
>
> Ummm it's very helpful if you provide the exact router model & firmware
> version....
>
> Most routers can be set for "Default NTP Server or User-Defined NTP
> Server". If he has it set for user defined then it could very well be
> that it is a problem. For example, on a Cisco/Linksys BEFVP41:
>
> The Time settings allows you to select your time zone. In the dropdown
> box, select the time zone you reside at.
>
> Once you select the time zone, select the NTP server option Default NTP
> Server or User-Defined NTP Server.
> Default NTP Server 	Select this radio button to use the router's default
> NTP server.
> User -Defined NTP Server 	Select this radio button to define a specific
> NTP server. You can find NTP servers on www.ntp.org. Enter the IP
> address or host name in the NTP Server prompt.

20090603 2056 GMT-5

The router is a linksys wrt45gl router running ddwrt verstion v24-sp1.

But that really isnt the point - my question is, does the router, in
general, get its time setting either from user input OR from an upstream
source - like the modem.

My setup (same as above) has only the time zone setting. No other way is
  visible to set the time. So I have to assume it gets it from either my
modem, which gets its time from the cable company.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005