[OT] setting the router time

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 3 22:42:41 UTC 2009

On 06/03/2009 02:59 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
> 20090603 1655 GMT-5
>
> I have been dealing with an issue that a routers internal time is off.
> Im working with my friend (who I just got moved over to Ubuntu) and his
> modem plugs into his computer and this computer to the router so his
> computer acts like a firewall to his network. This is just an old pc
> made useful as a firewall - not is work machine.
>
> The time on the router (linksys) has been off by several hours and he
> has been adjusting the time-zone to get it correct. In his time zone its
>   four hours off.
>
> So Im thinking, is the router gettings its time from the firewall/pc? He
> didnt install a gui, just the server, so Im sure no time has been set.
>
> Wade

Ummm it's very helpful if you provide the exact router model & firmware
version....

Most routers can be set for "Default NTP Server or User-Defined NTP
Server". If he has it set for user defined then it could very well be
that it is a problem. For example, on a Cisco/Linksys BEFVP41:

The Time settings allows you to select your time zone. In the dropdown
box, select the time zone you reside at.

Once you select the time zone, select the NTP server option Default NTP
Server or User-Defined NTP Server.
Default NTP Server 	Select this radio button to use the router's default
NTP server.
User -Defined NTP Server 	Select this radio button to define a specific
NTP server. You can find NTP servers on www.ntp.org. Enter the IP
address or host name in the NTP Server prompt.