wicd, static IP address, adsl modem and pppoe mode

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 3 19:25:46 UTC 2009

On 06/03/2009 08:33 AM, H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On a Ubuntu machine, I used to have network manager in Hardy in which I
> had set the IP address of the machine to be a static one.
>
> The machine's eth0 network cad is connected to an adsl modem working in
> pppoe mode. So when the modem is switched on, the internet connection is
> established with the ISP.
>
> When there was hardy installed and nm-applet was being used, it didn't
> matter when I switched on the computer, before or after switching on the
> modem, the networking in computer worked fine.
>
> But now I am using wicd in Jaunty. I have configured the static ip
> address in wicd. But the few times I have rebooted the computer yet, the
> internet connection in the computer does not work unless the adsl modem
> was already switched on. What gives? Is wicd somehow the culprit? Looks
> like it demands the modem to be already on when it starts up. Or am I
> missing something here?
>
> Thanks.

What does it show in the wicd manager after you click the wicd icon?
Does clicking the 'Connect' button refresh & work?

I tried to replicate by removing my wifi card and the lan cable.
Rebooted and of course wicd is showing no connection; however as soon as
I plugged in the wired cable (this goes to my router that is set for
ppoe), I instantly am connected and issue my fixed IP address.

Click on your wired network setting and check to see that 'Use as
default...' is set, and then 'Advanced Settings'. In AS I have:

Use Static IP's checked
- IP = my fixed IP address
- Netmask = 255.255.255.0
- Gateway = my routers IP
- DNS1 = my routers IP

For gateway & DNS1-3 you'll need to set the appropriate addresses for
your ISP of course.

You might want to also select 'Preferences' and under General Settings
check:
- Automatically reconnect on connections loss
- Use default profile on wired connect.