office 2k7 problem

Ray Leventhal ubuntu at swhi.net
Wed Jun 3 15:42:14 UTC 2009

Haseeb ul Hasan wrote:
> Question 1
> I am a rookie user. (Ubuntu 8.04 x64)
> I have googled on how to install office 2007 on it. Got success in
> installing wine and wine tricks. Got the iso downloaded of office 2007.
> Successfuly installed gmount iso to mount the disc.
> Successfully started installing, but on the halfway through it gives and
> unknown error and closes.

IMNSHO, you'll find CrossOver/Linux from Codeweavers [1] most helpful as
  Office 2007 is one of the supported applications.

The basics:  Yes, WINE is the ticket, but the folks at Codeweavers (the
most significant supporters of the WINE project, btw) have developed a
few not-open features which make the whole process far easer, again
IMNSHO.  I think of their product as WINE-heavy.

The other side of this is OpenOffice from Sun [2] is available and
likely already installed on your current 8.04 system.  If there's
something that OO can't do (or can't do without major learning curve) I
fallback to M$ Office through [1].

I hope this helps.

-Ray

[1] http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/
[2] http://www.openoffice.org/ *

*caveat: on Ubuntu, please try to use software from repositories as it
keeps your system secure, up-to-date and less likely to encounter
conflicts down the road.